18 C
Los Angeles
Sunday, November 30, 2025

Ontario Environment Minister Apologizes Over Controversial Clean-Water Bill Letter

Ontario’s environment minister has apologized to First Nation leaders for any “confusion” caused by a letter in which he urged the federal government not to reintroduce legislation that would protect clean drinking water rights. But many First Nations leaders say the apology carries no weight and are continuing to call for Todd McCarthy’s removal from cabinet.

Anishinabek Nation Grand Chief Linda Debassige says McCarthy’s letter was disrespectful and argues that the core issue remains unresolved because he has not withdrawn his request to Ottawa.

Last month, McCarthy and Alberta Environment Minister Rebecca Schulz wrote to federal Environment Minister Julie Dabrusin, urging her to abandon legislation they claim would slow project development and harm economic competitiveness.

Their letter specifically targeted Bill C-61, a previous piece of legislation designed to ensure First Nations have reliable access to clean drinking water and greater authority to safeguard waterways on their territories.

The bill went through an extended committee review but died when Parliament was prorogued earlier this year. Dabrusin said last week the federal government plans to bring it back this fall.

McCarthy maintains that the Ontario government has always supported the right of all First Nations to clean drinking water.