India’s aviation regulator has ordered urgent inspections of all Boeing 787 Dreamliners operated by Indian carriers following the devastating Air India crash that claimed at least 270 lives, in what is now considered the world’s deadliest aviation disaster in a decade.
Speaking to reporters on Saturday, Aviation Minister Ram Mohan Naidu confirmed that the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) had mandated extended surveillance of the Boeing 787 fleet. This comes after an Air India 787-8 Dreamliner, en route to London’s Gatwick Airport, crashed just seconds after takeoff from Ahmedabad airport on Thursday, bursting into flames after hitting buildings below.
“Eight have already been inspected, and with immediate urgency, all 34 Boeing 787s in our fleet will be checked,” Naidu said.
Inspections, Investigations Underway
The aviation regulator initially ordered additional maintenance checks specifically on Boeing 787-8/9 aircraft with GEnx engines, including assessments of take-off parameters, electronic engine control, and fuel system diagnostics.
India’s commercial 787 fleet includes:
- 33 aircraft operated by Air India
- 1 aircraft operated by IndiGo
IndiGo has not commented on the inspection orders. While the aircraft have not been grounded, a government official told Reuters on Friday that grounding remains under consideration.
The crash occurred with 242 passengers and crew on board. Only one person survived after the aircraft hit a medical college hostel. According to Dhaval Gameti, president of the Junior Doctors Association at B.J. Medical College, at least 270 bodies have been recovered.
Rescue teams later recovered the charred tail section of the aircraft, while hospitals began releasing bodies after initiating DNA profiling and dental identification due to the severe burns on most victims.
- 11 DNA matches had been confirmed by Saturday afternoon.
- 3 bodies were expected to be handed over to families later that day.
“The process is meticulous and slow,” said Rajnish Patel, a senior official at Ahmedabad Civil Hospital.
Outside the hospital, anguished families expressed frustration over delays in the identification process.
“We have lost our children … we are not understanding anything. Please help us get information,” pleaded Rafiq Abdul Hafiz Memon, who lost four family members.
Another father, still awaiting the body of his son Harshad Patel, voiced anger at the delay:
“Authorities are trying to help, but our patience is running out.”
Air India said it is complying with all regulatory directives and has begun issuing interim payments of ₹2.5 million (approx. $29,000) to each victim’s family and to the sole survivor. This is in addition to ₹10 million in financial aid announced earlier by the Tata Group, which acquired the airline in 2022.
“The process of reuniting next of kin with their loved ones and personal effects has begun,” said Air India CEO Campbell Wilson.
Tata Group Chairman stated that while the company is committed to finding answers, “we don’t know right now” what exactly went wrong.
A government-appointed panel is currently investigating the crash, including:
- Engine thrust irregularities
- Landing gear malfunction
- Flap configuration anomalies
A report is expected within three months, according to Minister Naidu, who assured the public:
“We are going to improve every necessary thing to enhance safety.”
Even hospital staff and doctors have been emotionally impacted, particularly those at B.J. Medical College, where many of the crash victims had been students or colleagues.
“Most of us are struggling with our emotions,” said a doctor who wished to remain anonymous. “This loss is devastating.”
Source: Reuters

